Sunday, May 11, 2008

Ya gotta float them boats....

So my friend (who owns a bike shop) convinced me to replaced the Speedplay pedals on my bikes a few weeks ago. I had the original Speedplay pedals on my bikes and my friend convinced me that the Speedplay Zeros were the way to go.

Easier to go get into and out of, float control, yada yada yada....

In what I thought was a totally unrelated issue, my right knee started to hurt. I blamed cross training, then I blamed seat height. Then I realized in the middle of the ride that my heals didn't periodically rub on my crank arms. When I examined my cleats, I realized that they were set by the factory to significantly limit the float.

As soon as a adjusted the cleats to provide adequate float, the pain in my knee went away. So, the morals of the story are:

a) You shouldn't overlook even the smallest changes to your bike set up; and

b) proper lower leg alignment is critical to pain free riding. Even slightly rotating the heel outward is sufficient to disrupt the normal motion of the leg.

No comments: